I first tried my hand at this a few weeks ago and it was an epic fail. I did not take a picture of that mess though :) The day after my attempt, My Craft Channel had a video about this very same craft. So I did learn a few things and decided to try again. I mean, I have all this wonderful Trendy Twine that would just make some beautiful eggs!
Here is my 1st which looks like an egg--sort of. I used a regular size balloon and only blew it up part way and was able to get the egg shape. However, I did not use enough Watermelon Taffy Trendy Twine on this one--it's a little bare.
This next one, I used a small water balloon. I could not get that in an egg shape at all. I also did not cut enough Pink Limeade Trendy Twine for this one, but just grabbed some more and continued wrapping. This one looks so much better but is round.
- I used Scotch Quick Dry glue watered down. However, I used too much water and the mixture was very drippy.
- After my 1st fail, the twine stuck to the balloon and caved in with it. It was a mess! So the video said to use Modge Podge or you need to grease it up somehow, so I sprayed both with Pam :)
- The egg shape is not very sturdy. I put the twine on as it came out of the glue--very wet. I had to have a cup under it to catch all the drips it was so wet.
- The ball shape is much stiffer. I was running the twine between my fingers to get some of the glue mixture off before putting it on the balloon. And there was hardly a drip coming off it while drying.
- The next morning, I wanted to take the balloon out. I started with the egg and the twine was sticking!! Ugg. I so very carefully separated the twine from the balloon. Still, when I popped it, a few strands stuck but I was able to reshape since it is so soft.
- When I was checking to see if the round ball was sticking, the balloon popped and nothing stuck! Yay!
So, lessons learned: Grease up the balloon and do not use a ton of glue/water!
Please leave a link in the comments if you've make any of these--I'd love to see them!!